Saints 23 Falcons 3
Steve Gleason celebrates after blocking the punt.
Note the "Thanks America" sign in the background.
Now read the next line.
I will try. I haven't been this happy-emotional after a Saints game for a long time. The "Good" list will probably be too short to do justice for what I just saw.
- Special Teams
- Steve Gleason
- Fred Thomas
- Brian Young
- Scott Fujita
- Charles Grant
- Will Smith
- Josh Bullocks
- 5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles (neither recovered), and 10 passes defended
- One blocked punt (TD), one blocked FG. Take those away and it's 16-6 in the 4th quarter
- John Carney still perfect for the season
- Offense: 0 Turnovers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Deuce and Bush: 32 carries, 154 yards
- Marques Colston: 7 catches, 97 yards
- Drew Brees: 70% completions, one huge block on Devery Henderson's TD
- The offensive line somehow keeps holding on. It's amazing how you have fewer sacks when your quarterback doesn't hold on to the ball for 10 seconds (yes, that's a dig at Aaron Brooks).
- The opening drive of the second half took 7:45 off the clock
- No garbage touchdowns in the 4th quarter
- Michael Vick held to one big run, when the game was out of reach
- The Saints shouldn't have settled for a field goal on that opening drive in the 3rd quarter
- 2 fourth down conversions for the Falcons
- A big Deuce run in the 2nd quarter was called back for holding
- Curtis DeLoatch's stupid late hit on the kickoff return. I don't care if he grabbed your facemask--don't play stupid. I'm glad Payton got in his face when the play was over.
- The Falcons dropped a lot of passes. The Saints defended a lot too, but they still dropped a bunch.
- The Saints used their timeouts early in the 3rd quarter. I'm glad we didn't need them later.
- That personal foul called on the guy who hit Joe Horn late in the first half was ticky-tack, and it gave us 3 points. But I'll take it. God knows we've been the victim of those too.
- The Falcons fan I sat next to at the bar was convinced the game was rigged. "How can it not be rigged? They won't let Michael Vick run the football." I wondered why Vick wasn't running too. Part of it had to do our defensive scheme and our safeties not letting him get to the corner and improvise. But I don't care if it's rigged or not. The Falcons never had to play a home game in New York City. I don't feel sorry for anyone after the Hell the Saints and their fans went through last year.
TAGS: NFL, New Orleans Saints, Atlanta Falcons, Drew Brees, Deuce McAllister, Reggie Bush