19 September 2006

Don't Turn Monday Night Football into a Photo-op

Some of you may appreciate that I have found a way to reconcile my hatred for ESPN, "The Worldwide Leader in Synergy," with issues that involve the city. So here it goes:

We are 6 days away from the biggest post-KTMB celebration yet. We finally get our Saints back. For a while it was uncertain whether that would happen. Tom Benson was giving us mixed signals. We figured he would use the disaster as the excuse he was waiting for to move the team out of town--Just like Ruth's Chris did. New Orleans still has a long way to go with recovery. Lives have not been completely fixed yet. God knows the levees arent. And God knows that coastal restoration still needs a serious commitment. But, just like we did with Mardi Gras and Jazzfest, Monday Night Football will be our opportunity to show the world that we remain defiant in the face of great odds. It is a way to prove, once and for all, what this city means and why it is important to America. It is our biggest celebration and coming-out party yet.

So just don't exploit us, like the media and the president did on the one-year anniversary. Neither have been anywhere to be found in the days between the anniversary and today. Don't
come back now, at the opportunity when the largest number of television cameras will be there to see you.

I'm saying this because I'm hearing things. George Bush (the daddy) is expected to be here. I also hear that U2 and Green Day will be here too.

But that's enough, thank you very much.

And to whomever else comes to get their faces on camera, please, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, stay out of the booth.

We don't need W. coming down here, at least while he's more interested in defending the war in Iraq and saying we are not allowed to disagree with him than he is in helping us.

We don't need Brad Pitt and George Clooney showing up to tell us how the Republicans don't care about places like New Orleans and Africa.

We don't need our "national" celebrities like Emeril, Harry and Aaron hogging the spotlight.

We don't need W's daddy showing up in the booth to tell us his son's trying real hard.

We don't need Bono in the booth, unless he's ready to talk some football.

And we DEFINITELY don't need C. Ray up there putting his foot in his mouth. Again.

I feel like I have to say this, because God knows the ESPN Monday Night Football crew loves to have "celebrities" in the booth. They have turned MNF into a mockery of itself. Look at how it turned its first ever MNF game into "The Tom Cruise Show." And this isn't just me going off on a rant here. Apparently the 2nd quarter of Monday Night Football is now the "celebrity quarter," with Jamie Foxx and Dwayne Wade making it 2-for-2 so far. You know they're just salivating at the opportunity to exploit the situation for ratings points.

Please, ESPN and the NFL, don't turn Monday Night Football into a Republican Party, pro-war rally. And don't turn it into "Entertainment Tonight" either.

Does anyone remember when football games used to be about football?

This is OUR night, not yours.

We deserve better. We deserve respect.

And if we aren't in the mood to be told to wave American flags before the game because we feel like America (or the president) STILL has his back turned to us, leave it be.

TAGS: , , , , , , , , , , ,

14 Comments:

At September 19, 2006 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Celebrity-In-The-Booth" is a long standing fixture for MNF...or have you forgotten the days of Howard Cosell interviewing John Lennon in the booth?

 
At September 19, 2006 1:09 PM, Blogger Commish said...

I agree. But even John Lennon talked about football. That Jamie Foxx thing was pointless.

And ABC didn't put somebody in there EVERY SINGLE WEEK.

 
At September 19, 2006 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here Here - I couldn't have said it better myself.

 
At September 19, 2006 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.wilddogdigital.com/Auburn2006/index.htm

Check out the above link relative to "the call" the other night in the Auburn-LSU game.

My apologies for this not being on point with your post.

 
At September 20, 2006 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really, really hope that the crowd at the Dome, some of whom are bound to be some of the folks who, according to Babs Bush "And so many of the people in the arena here, you
know, were underprivileged anyway, so this--this (she
chuckles slightly) is working very well for them." remember her callous comments and boo the living hell out of her. George Bush was a very, very bad choice for this. Honestly. What are they thinking about.

 
At September 20, 2006 1:25 PM, Blogger Roux said...

Former President Bush has been out raising money for the Gulf Coast, along with Former President Clinton. Both should be commended.

I sure the game will raise awareness of how far we have to go and I don't think that's a bad thing.

 
At September 20, 2006 1:37 PM, Blogger Commish said...

Yeah, I don't have a problem with Bush's daddy, even though I have a problem with W (for the reasons I gave in the post). I was not a fan of daddy or Clinton as presidents either, for that matter. But both of them have been decent post-presidential statesmen, especially in the cases of Katrina and the tsunami.

I'm all for being cordial to George Bush (sr.). Now his son would be another story. I don't think he's going to come. He probably knows better. Besides, like I said, he's too busy promoting his infallibility. Does he think he's the president or the Pope?

 
At September 20, 2006 4:41 PM, Blogger Commish said...

Oh, I know that. I just don't need actors telling me that, just because they're actors. I'm just saying I don't want grandstanding from either side. Pull a "Team America" on them if they do show up

 
At September 20, 2006 7:27 PM, Blogger Commish said...

You know what else is funny about Monday Night? W can't win in this one. If he shows up, we'll call him a shameless opportunist. And if he doesn't, we'll trash him for keeping his back turned on us.

Of course, we weren't the ones who created this mess for him.

 
At September 20, 2006 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't Turn The Third Battle into A SportsBlog.

 
At September 20, 2006 9:25 PM, Blogger Commish said...

Seymour will get back to his posts soon, I'm sure. He's kinda busy right now.

Until then, I will continue to submit posts (many of which will be sports-related due to my expertise and interest), at his request. When he comes back, so will the balance.

 
At September 20, 2006 10:03 PM, Blogger dillyberto said...

This is not a sports blog.

It's political and reality commentary with a sporting interest.

Great work.

There is no way to exclude the MNF talk. It is everywhere in town now.

I agree that we should be VERY concerned with how our community is represented at this critical time in our rebirth.

 
At September 20, 2006 10:31 PM, Blogger Commish said...

Thanks Dillyberto. There will be more issues discussed shortly. I just added one, in fact, not related to sports.

Right now the Saints are a big deal. I cannot write in-depth about other civic issues since I don't deal with them on a day to day basis like Seymour. Most of my stories will take the perspective of a proud, native South Louisianian stuck in another part of the country right now. I will write about what I see and hear out here, which can also be disturbing on another level.

And from that perspective, not a lot is going on. We are a non-entity to them right now. Which is a story unto itself that will hopefully be discussed in due time.

 
At September 22, 2006 6:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not anti- sports. I never read the posts but I liked the fact that those interests were represented. Just wish there were a few more Recovery issues covered and a few less Saints.
Fair and Balanced y"all

 

Post a Comment

<< Home