Saints 19 Browns 14
This team has a realistic shot at starting out 3-0, even though I still think a 6 or 7 win season is optimistic.
Every time I get a chance, I will post my thoughts on the game. So here is "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly."
- Reggie Bush looked above average. Not ESPN-good. Not Hall of Fame good. But pretty damn good.
- Reggie Bush will lead NFL running backs (rookie or otherwise) in receptions if healthy.
- Deuce is back.
- Marques Colston is going to be our Antonio Gates. By that I mean Drew Brees's security blanket, not All-Pro tight end.
- That much-maligned offensive line gave up no sacks and helped the Saints rush for over 150 yards.
- The defense looks aggressive. Maybe they won't be the worst in Saints history.
- Brian Young: 3 sacks. Where the hell did that come from?
- Interceptions from Fujita and Bullocks.
- The defense didn't give up a first down until the Browns' final drive of the first half.
- The defense came up big after Deuce's fumble. I just knew that the Browns would take the lead on that drive.
- The defense came up with a big 3-and-out (with 2 sacks) after the Saints took the 19-14 lead.
- The Browns had the ball at midfield with 2 minutes left. And the Saints stopped them. Cold. How many times have we seen us lose a game in the last 2 minutes that we dominated for the first 58?
- No (or at least very few) dumb-ass decisions or stupid penalties for the first 50 minutes of the game.
- We scored points in our first drive. Remember when we used to do that?
- We have a head coach more concerned with the game plan than showing up the refs.
- Drew Brees never broke the huddle and discovered that 3 seconds were left on the play clock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- The penalties started to come back in the final minutes of the game.
- We need to find a way to get Reggie Bush involved in key 3rd-and-short situations.
- We settled for 2 field goals in situations where we should have scored touchdowns.
- Our vertical passing game is nonexistent.
- Our tight ends are nonexistent, at least as receiving options.
- Roman Harper vs. Kellen Winslow. But in Harper's defense, he came up with a big sack in the 4th quarter on 3rd down.
- Drew Brees and Joe Horn have no chemistry. Yet.
- Marques Colston needed to bring that ball in on the flea-flicker pass.
- Charlie Frye was able to scramble on us. What's going to happen when we play Michael Vick???????????????????????
- The Browns had a first half touchdown and a 4th down conversion called back by penalty. They also had a 50-yard change of field position after a punt in the first quarter because of a penalty. Isn't it nice to see other teams get the bad breaks for a change???????????
- First and goal at the 3 late in the game. Good teams get in the end zone and put the game out of reach. Instead, we settle for a field goal and keep the Browns in the game.
- 3rd and 1 with 3 minutes left in the game. WHY IN THE HELL CAN'T THE SAINTS EVER CONVERT A 3RD AND 1 IN THE FINAL 5 MINUTES OF A FRIGGIN FOOTBALL GAME????????????????????????????????????????
- The Cleveland Browns offense is Mike Ditka bad. They have one NFL-caliber skill player (Kellen Winslow). The rest of the team was just a bunch of Andre Hastingses and Lamar Smiths.
- Aren't you glad that we didn't select (Browns offensive coordinator) Maurice Carthon wasn't selected as head coach? Actually, like I said, I think the Browns' lack of talent is more to blame than his play calling.
- That penalty against the Saints on the Browns' final drive of the game. GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Why do I think that Joe Horn is not going to be happy with his role on the team?
TAGS: New Orleans Saints, Cleveland Browns, NFL, NFL Week One, Reggie Bush, Drew Brees, Deuce McAllister