24 July 2006

Good News, New Orleans: Liuzza's Open--and Serving Food

On the August Saturday night before the now-admitted MANMADE failure of the flood protection system and subsequent drowning of New Orleans, the Fair Family ate dinner at Liuzza's, one of the most beloved neighborhood joints in the city. (We jokingly referred to that meal at the time as "our last New Orleans meal" (Ya, funny, right?)--The restaurant was about half-full and there was a noticeable tension that night (cue the Phil Collins "Something in the Air Tonight") and I don't know--maybe you could call it an impending sense of doom. After the usual dinner and several fish bowls we made a ceremonial "last drive" around town taking the long way from Mid City back to Carrollton via Canal Street, the CBD, and St. Charles Avenue. At 5am on Sunday morning we headed out of New Orleans via Oak Street and River Road. Two days later our city became a lake and the interior of Liuzza's was engulfed in over five feet of water.

Ten months since being flooded, the Bienville Street institution fully-reopened two weeks ago after having been open in a limited, bar-only fashion since May. The menu is quite limited compared to normal times pre-KTMB. The day I was there I only recognized one of the floor staff. But the important thing is they're back . . . and in my opinion Liuzza's is one of those places New Orleans simply cannot afford to ever lose. Their reopening is truly good news.

More good-to-hear news: Another legendary Mid City establishment looks to be on their way to returning as well as an "opening soon" sign has appeared on its sidewalk in the past couple of weeks or so. Pass the Cannoli, the place: Angelo Brocato's.

Here are some pics I took at Liuzza's:





TAGS: Katrina, New Orleans, NOLA, Mid City, Liuzza's, Angelo Brocato's

4 Comments:

At July 25, 2006 2:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn. Drove by on Sunday, and they weren't open. Later this week. God knows I could have used a frozen goblet of beer.

 
At July 25, 2006 8:39 AM, Blogger Hollis P. Wood said...

I, Hollis P. Wood, also had a last Pre-KTMB meal at Liuzza's. It was on the Thursday night before. That Friday I was at the Saints Preseason game and got outta dodge on Saturday around noon.

Seymore, lets go tomorrow night. You in?

 
At July 25, 2006 10:54 AM, Blogger Mark Folse said...

They're open I think 11-9 Tue-Sat. I just learned last night at the Mid-City meeting that if we dont' find somebody to use Mercy's current building, the land across the street is zoned for high rises up to 10 or 15 stories. That would be a sad change in the neighborhood.

Oh, and did Ihear someone suggest lunch in my hood? (I'm out of town next week, but I'll give y'all a ding when I'm back in town.)

 
At July 26, 2006 3:39 PM, Blogger Schroeder said...

Praise be! You know Angelo Brocato's was thinking about not opening for a while, so I recall. *That* will for me be a turning point.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home