04 May 2006

Couhig Endorses Nagin: The Nail in the Coffin?

In a previous post, I calculated that Landrieu would need to get about 75 percent of the votes that went to Forman and Couhig if he wanted to win.

I guess that's not going to happen now. IT'S OVER.

This endorsement sort of took me by surprise. I thought that a Republican like Couhig would be more wary of "Chocolate City" Nagin than of "Mary's brother" Landrieu. I guess Mary took her Bush bashing a little too far. Either that, or he's getting a cushy deal to support him.

Either way, Mitch is in trouble. Unless Couhig's supporters ignore the endorsement. Or he gets 95 percent of Forman's votes instead of 75.

TAGS: Katrina, New Orleans, NOLA, Election, Nagin, Landrieu, Couhig

8 Comments:

At May 04, 2006 11:09 AM, Blogger Seymour D. Fair said...

Not sure how much weight the Couhig endorsement gives Nagin . . .

 
At May 04, 2006 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know we're all jittery at the prospect that the human punch line could actually win. BUT I don't think Couhig can deliver enough votes to make it a foregone conclusion that C Ray gets back in.

Mitch's people need to put a counter spin on the Couhig endorsement in the black community.
I hope that's what happens but this election is so wacked out that who the hell knows?

 
At May 04, 2006 12:58 PM, Blogger Roux said...

If Mitch wins. NOLA's only hope is that he's a changed man. If not you'll have the same ole bunch running the city.

 
At May 04, 2006 9:36 PM, Blogger TravelingMermaid said...

I think Couhig was pressured by the Repub machine to support Nagin in addition to the fact that Nagin is more conservative than Mitch. I don't think Nagin would have lost the conservative white vote if he hadn't made the chocolate city comment and the "I look like you" comment. Even so, it wouldn't surprise me to see the conserv vote go to Nagin.

 
At May 04, 2006 10:54 PM, Blogger Schroeder said...

I too was shocked. Is Couhig that mad at the Landrieu family? What's the big deal? Anyway, Couhig was a good debater (some say), but he sure looks like a hypocrite (says oyster) after he ran the first television ads making Nagin look like a cucoo.

http://righthandthief.blogspot.com/2006/05/inconceivable.html

 
At May 06, 2006 5:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couhig supports Nagin???

That's PRE-Posther-OUSTH

 
At May 06, 2006 2:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fitch, I got 3:1 says you're wrong. The Couhig endorsement hurts Nagin, and helps Mitch.

 
At May 08, 2006 11:12 AM, Blogger Commish said...

Well, we all know that Mitch Landrieu's sister "was out drinking with Patrick Kennedy last week." (not really, but who will check?) And we all know she's friends with (gasp) Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Actually, I don't think that kind of political advertising would work in New Orleans.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home