21 December 2006

Camellia Grill Renovation Continues and Possibly Good News on Maple Street . . .

I know I know. There are those out there that believe The Camellia Grill "jumped the shark" in the years previous to KTMB--and to a certain extent, I agree. While patronizing a near-by business last Friday afternoon, I peeked into the windows to see how the interior renovation was coming along. Over the past couple of months the effort has been concentrated on the exterior of the building, but recently work on the interior has finally begun. The entire grill/food prep area has been gutted as seen below. The camellia prints remain on the wall, but the eternal-placed (at least in my memory) grease-stained Mickey Mouse clock has been removed (where that electrical socket towards the ceiling in the photos).

In other Carrollton restaurant news: I don't have a definitive answer on this, but there is some stirring at the closed since July 2005 Cote Sud on Maple Street (they do the traditional French "take the month of August off thing" but never reopened post-KTMB). In the past few months the sidewalk in front of the building was upgraded with pavers and the Cote Sud sign (I think a brand new one) is hanging from the building once again. I really enjoyed this restaurant and the apparent loss of it since was the storm really bummed me out. Stay tuned on this one . . .





TAGS: Katrina, New Orleans, NOLA, Louisiana, Camellia Grill, Carrollton, Maple Street, Cote Sud

4 Comments:

At December 21, 2006 7:00 PM, Blogger Mr. Clio said...

Nice pix, Mr. Fair. I'm a Camelia Grill skeptic, but it's encouraging to see major renovation. There's hope.

Are we gonna have a beer or what, sir? Track me down. wiseman.nola.

at gmail.

 
At December 21, 2006 7:20 PM, Blogger karrev said...

It's been a while since I went to high school in NOLA...so long ago that Ben Franklin High School used to be across the street from the Camellia Grill, and we'd skip lunch and spend our money over there instead. Pecan pie and cloth napkins - you don't get that at the school cafeteria.

Bless you for answering the question that you didn't know I was asking: "What happened to the Camellia Grill?"

 
At January 02, 2007 8:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Camelia Grill brings back great memories, as does Ciro's from the old days, before the Cote Sud was added.

I was wondering if it would be too much trouble to post a pic of the place?

 
At January 18, 2007 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ate at Camellia Grill not too long before the storm and I thought it was the same as ever. I hope they reopen it as it was, so I can take my grandson there.

Thanks for the update on Cote Sud, I liked that place, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home