10 August 2006

Ted's Frostop: Proudly the Home of the Upside-down Root Beer Mug

Everytime I think of Frostop I think of something a waitress told me at a Frostop (not Ted's) when I was in high school. She asked "Honey, you know why it's called a Lotto Burger?" I said, "Uh, no." She said "Because it's a lot o' burger."

The Fair Family headed over to Ted's Frostop on South Claiborne and Calhoun for lunch early Sunday afternoon. Freshly renovated and newly re-opened (the place took in three feet of water following the storm) Ted's Frostop looks better than ever and the Lotto with Chesse combo was just like before KTMB.

The iconic frosted root beer mug still rests upside-down in front of the building (it fell over during the storm) and the owners have no intention of placing the mug back atop it's pole. Humorously, they have embraced the upside-down mug as their new logo. The t-shirts the staff now wear (which can be purchased by patrons) simply have the upsidedown mug on them.

Go get a Lotto Burger . . . Or a burger at the adjacent Bud's Broiler on Calhoun. Or a drink at Robert's Bar on Calhoun . . . These places are committed to New Orleans (Robert's opened in December) and deserve business . . .

In other Frostop-related news:

Hollis P. Wood informs me that the Old Jefferson Frostop on Jefferson Highway is being forced to relocate (they don't know to where yet)--because of the construction of a new multi-story condo/apartment building. I have noticed a fence and "sales-looking" trailer has been erected on site (next to the Frostop and at the former location of the Daiquiri place and pawn shop that burned down to the ground a few days after the storm). Based on the neighborhood opposition of previous proposed "high-rise" projects in Old Jefferson, this one seems to be mysteriously flying under the radar . . . .

Some photos of Ted's Frostop:






TAGS: Katrina, New Orleans, NOLA, Ted's Frostop, South Claiborne, Broadmoor

6 Comments:

At August 10, 2006 5:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder what's going on with the Buds on City Park. I pass it everyday and it looks as though it hasn't been touched. What a shame because it's in a great location.

 
At August 10, 2006 8:41 PM, Blogger TravelingMermaid said...

Wow - Ted's looks cool. I'll have to take a drive over.

 
At August 11, 2006 8:54 AM, Blogger Seymour D. Fair said...

anon:

I ate at the old A-Frame BUD'S BROILER in Kenner about a month ago. Meant to do a post, but never got around to it. A guy there--I assume the owner based on what he said--said he couldn't find enough people to work to open the City Park Avenue location. It obviously didn't flood and I think he told me the place had no damage at all--unlike the one on Tulane Avenue. He simply has no one to work at it . . . I would think since the fall semester is starting up at Delgado I'd think there'd be more of a desire to re-open the City Park Ave. one now . . .

 
At August 13, 2006 6:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bud's and Frostop. Hallelujah.

 
At December 29, 2008 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blame lack of employees when the real reason is you are cash-strapped and exhausted.

 
At March 27, 2009 7:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all Bud's on City Park is now open and it WAS because of lack of help. As Dorothy (Golden Girls)said, "Who are you to judge me?". The highrise planned for Jefferson Hwy is a dead deal, so Frostop's forced move was for nothing. What a shame.
BTW, I managed Ted's Frostop in the 80's. And yes there is a Ted.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home