28 August 2006

Recipe for Jack Crevalle



The Jack Crevalle or Jackfish, as it is more widely known here in Louisiana, is known for its fierce fighting ability. What it is not known for is being good table fare. I read a post this morning on a local fishing report website that was inquireing about good recipes for Jackfish. This is the response he got. If any of you are familiar with Jackfish, you'll get a kick out of this.


Filet the jack fish and season it with salt and pepper.
Place the fish on an oak plank.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
Remove the plank from the oven.
Discard the fish and eat the plank.


TAGS: Katrina, New Orleans, NOLA, Fishing, Gulf of Mexico, Jack Crevalle

2 Comments:

At February 04, 2009 11:52 AM, Blogger Varela said...

Hello, we caught a lot of Jackfish past sunday (feb 1) in the San Lucas Island, close to Puntarenas, Costa Rica, The trick for jackfish:
-Do not eat the skin
-After catch him, pierce a knife through its throat from side to side and drain its blood while washing it with sea water. If blood is left the meat would get stained and darken: not edible. But if you do that, it would have the consistency of tuna and a nice flavor if salted and peppered. Try it grilled.

 
At April 25, 2011 6:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This past weekend I caught a nice size crevalle. Having never eaten it I started to search for a good way to cook it. Everyone said it wasn't worth it so I quit looking. I was determined to try a fish everyone said was disgusting. I didn't bleed it right away so the meat darkened I descaled it and cut into steaks beer battered and fried it with the skin on. Honestly I hope people keep throwin em back. More for me. It was one of the best fishes I've eaten in awhile. So if its nasty maybe u should take a basic culinary class and try again. During ww2 grouper was considered a trash fish and people would get mad and throw em back. Now its one of the best fish to eat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home