28 August 2006

Lakeview is "Lakeville"

Flipping around the national morning shows as they all are in Katrina Extravaganza mode (when they are not talking about who showed off the most cleavage last night at the Emmy Awards--I am serious) . . .

a reporter on ABC Good Morning America standing in a gutted house on-site just referred to Lakeview as "Lakeville." Oh boy.

Also, I am noticing a constant tone that the pre-KTMB evacuation of New Orleans a year a go was a complete failure. I completely disagree and as usual they are getting the story wrong like nearly everything else about this event. See today's Wetbank Guide post on this.

I started writing a thing about Nagin on MEET THE PRESS and 60 MINUTES yesterday, but I am not going to finish it. Oyster pretty much states what I was going to say--except that Tim Russert is an idiot:

From Russert to Nagin (paraphrased): "Do you feel bad for the families that lost loved ones on September 11th?" What kind of question is that, Mr. Russert?


TAGS: Katrina, New Orleans, NOLA, Lakeview, Nagin, Louisiana

5 Comments:

At August 28, 2006 9:03 AM, Blogger Commish said...

I turned the bullsh&t off this morning when the morning show I was watching (Good Morning America?) was giving us the story about the New Orleans woman who scammed FEMA out of thousands of dollars by using dozens of bogus addresses.

She was African-American, of course.

 
At August 28, 2006 9:04 AM, Blogger mominem said...

The amount of misinformation about what actually happened is stupefying.

The evacuation was a great success. Upwards of 80% of the people in the city left and most of the people who stayed did so, not because they couldn't, but because they didn't think it was necessary.

I recall one of the senior FEMA officials saying the one of the reasons he didn't believe the report from a FEMA guy in a helicopter that the levees had breached was because with 80% of the city under water there should have been thousands of people on rooftops, not the hundreds reported.

Let me see now. If the city was evacuated there should have been no one on rooftops. Does that make any sense?

Oh by the way the water was not so deep everywhere people had to get on their rooftops. If I had stayed, I could have waded a couple of blocks to dry ground, for example.

Where do they get these people?

I wonder if in all of the interviews of all of the people at the dome, the convention center and at the evacuee shelters people were asked a why they didn't leave.

I wonder if the Red Cross or other volunteer groups gathered that information. Not that is likely to be that reliable.

I suspect many people would claim they didn't have the means to leave when they could have but chose not to. Asking would at least set an upper limit on the number of people who couldn't leave.

Sorry for the long comment.

 
At August 28, 2006 9:47 AM, Blogger Seymour D. Fair said...

fndd:

She wasn't from New Orleans was she?? I thought I saw she was from Tejas???

 
At August 28, 2006 11:30 AM, Blogger Mark Folse said...

I just made it about that far into Disaster, bought at the conference Saturday. The evacuation of 90% of the population was the most successful in history of this location or any other hurricane threatened site. I wrote up bunch of notes about the interview of Nagin last night echoing the same theme. Sombody needs to tackle Nagin and beat it into his thick skull to point this out to anyone who will listen.

It sounds like the scripts for all of these stories were written in once place, long ago. Is this a great country or what.

BTW, congrats on the newest Orleniean.

 
At August 28, 2006 11:59 AM, Blogger Mr. Clio said...

Isn't there a street named "Mirabou" in Lakeville? that's what I read in USA Today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home