05 July 2006

Photo du Jour: Boat Parade on Lake Tishomingo


I am currently seeking rest and relaxation at a relative of my wife's home on Lake Tishomingo-- to the south of St. Louis in Jefferson County, Missouri. One of the traditions here on Lake Tishomingo is the annual 4th of July boat (party barge) parade. Naturally, since we are here, the "New Orleans" theme was decided upon by my wife's relatives. Before I left home, I went up into the attic and grabbed several plastic bags worth of beads to bring up for the parade. Their party barge was done up with purple, green, and gold streamers, decorated with beads, and the City of New Orleans flag was hung on the flagpole. Many of the other "floats" were more elaborately decorated and feature costumed riders, but all they were all doing was handing out waves and smiles at people in other boats and onshore, while our group was throwing out beads to everyone. The banner on the both sides of the party barge predictably read "Let the Good Times Roll" in French and in English as my idea of "New Orleans is not OK" was vetoed as too grim. Gotta send THE message . . . . Everyone I have encountered here in St. Louis to which the subject has been brought up has been supportive towards the rebuilding of New Orleans. Three particular words came up repeatedly with several of these people as they are fully aware of their own city's precariousness. The three words: New Madrid Fault.

(Wow--I forgot how slow dial-up is . . .)

TAGS: Katrina, New Orleans, NOLA, Lake Tishomingo



4 Comments:

At July 06, 2006 12:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How could you leave us here with..him

 
At July 07, 2006 11:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I couldn't be there to help..I was off having chemo..call my Doctor and ask him, altho all my records were lost at Tulane. Second Stage so I will probably survive and guess what chemo makes you pissed off so why don't you calm your self down and play nice by the way I get Chemo every Monday at Ochsner now so if you want to stop by in your compassionate white jacket we can have a nice chat over my Herceptin drip

 
At July 08, 2006 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gtasby, All of this is compicated. Even the simple things. As this City rebuilds the seemingly petty squabbles may hide the larger issues. I would hate to think that we would bring it down to a level of liberal and conservative. Cause liberal or conservative, dry or wet we are here attempting to make things better.

 
At July 09, 2006 10:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karen & uptown gatsby - You two need to come down off your pedestals & come back to the real world. I, too, have cancer but do not blame others for not being here to "clean my house". Where are your family members, etc. to help you out or better yet - Dr. uptown - why don't you go clean her house since you seem to spend so much time on this website?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home