25 June 2006

And on the 300th Day Post-KTMB . . . Something Smells--In Addition To My Neighbor's Rotting Refrigerator in Her Courtyard Part 1

Coliseum Square Baptist Church: September 2005, Post-KTMB

Oh, boy. What a day today (or yesterday now) was. I needed a drink after it and got several at the official bar of Krewe Char de Guerre (ok, ONE of the official bars of KCdG), or how about the official Vieux Carre Bar of the KCdG--The Chart Room. I'm tired now and need to go to bed . . .

Therefore, read Maitri and her VatulBlog on the travesty that occurred Friday and Saturday regarding the ramrod opportunistic, let's hurry up and tear this bitch down before anyone can stop it demolition of the recently fire damaged Coliseum Square Baptist Church. Loki at Humid City also has extensive coverage including video on the hit job.

I am told OUR MAYOR (tm) is in Maryland today, man. I am glad he was around to act as the leader he is supposed to be, man. J.T. Curtis (you know--as in Football for Jesus), reportedly pastor of the chuch (I thought his dominion was limited to HaraRidge), paid for the demolition but happens to be currently vacationing in Hawaii. Amen. Over the past 300 days Post-KTMB it takes the City of New Orleans Government weeks to do virtually anything given the unprecedented challenges currently beleaguering this city, yet amazingly less than 48 hours after the last cypress beam and pile of bricks had stopped smoldering the wrecking ball was mercilessly unleashed. Something smells foul. And New Orleans just got one step closer towards the dull un-fulfilling soullessness of Everywhereelse, USA. Yippppppppppee. Give credit to newly elected councilperson Stacy Head for making at least a token stand of voicing her displeasure of the demolition this morning . . . Her effort is appreciated.

I'll write the narrative of my adventure at Coliseum Square tomorrow . . . but all you need to know is this:

Recite main chorus from Randy Newman's "Louisiana 1927" which is:

Louisiana, Louisiana
They're tyrin' to wash us away
They're tryin' to wash us away
Louisiana, Louisiana
They're tryin' to wash us away
They're tryin' to wash us away

Repeat 25 times. Then, you'll understand. Today's farce I am afraid is just the beginning.

TAGS: Katrina, New Orleans, NOLA, Lower Garden District, Coliseum Square, Nagin

4 Comments:

At June 25, 2006 11:52 AM, Blogger bayoustjohndavid said...

I once joked that I got around to using technorati tags, I was afraid that I would find myself using "Fishy Smell" (I first saw the term used by Loki at Humid City very early in the "recovery") more often than any other tag. Now it seems like I probably would.

 
At June 25, 2006 9:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is the march of progress, destroying everything in its path..Condos anyone?

 
At June 27, 2006 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While it is a shame to lose any historical landmark, this church was extremely dangerous after the fire...nothing left but free standing, shaky walls. Preservationists should have come forward years ago and not waited until there was no choice but to demolish the church. A swift demolition was the right thing to do before some part collapsed on someone, who, would in turn, file suit for being injured. Are you all so blind and bitter in your desire to remain steadfast against progress that you can't see that this had nothing to do with what might go up on that site?

 
At June 27, 2006 10:31 AM, Blogger Seymour D. Fair said...

anon:

Oh boy. I dont' discount that the building was badly damaged and likely the majority needed to be demolished. I'd don't question that. The problem was the ramrod, non-negotiable way it went down--where was the discussion? Could the tower have been saved and utilized in an adapative reuse??? I think it could. I watched it get knocked down. It took quite an effort for the tower to concede and fall to the ground.

And to be quite honest I have my questions about the fire in the first place . . .

Not against progress my friend. Against development and re-development that has no interest in respecting the fragile nature of the being of our city. If we lose this essence, then we are really screwed because honestly its all we have left. However, it is also the key to our survivial and hopefully the key to our recovery.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home