30 December 2005

Saints Staying in New Orleans (for 2006 at least)

Apparently it's official. Now all we need is a new owner, new general manager, new coach, new quarterback, and either Reggie Bush or Matt Leinart (or Brett Favre).

Here's the A.P. report:

08:00 AM CST on Friday, December 30, 2005
Associated Press

SAN ANTONIO -- A San Antonio newspaper reports that New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson and NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue have reached an agreement to return the displaced team to its state-owned training facility in Metairie.

Tagliabue is expected to inform the team's players and coaches of the decision when he meets with them Friday in San Antonio.

Sources tell the newspaper that the agreement likely eliminates the possibility of the Saints playing home games at the Alamodome in 2006.

League spokesman Greg Aiello said the league will announce the Saints' schedule in January. Benson said last week the team would practice in the state where it would play its games.

The Saints likely will play most of their home schedule in Baton Rouge and perhaps the Louisiana Superdome, which officials say could be ready for use by November.

Tagliabue, who arrived in San Antonio late last night, and other league officials plan to address players and coaches this morning at the team's temporary headquarters near the Alamodome. The meeting is the first between the parties since Hurricane Katrina ripped through New Orleans four months ago and forced the team to move operations to the Alamo City.


Post a Comment

<< Home