19 January 2007

Biggest Weekend in Saints Fan History Too


I've been so jacked up for this game all week that I've virtually gotten no work done. I've waited for this game my whole life. Seriously, my whole life.

Here's my story. I was born in 1969. I was on my mothers lap when Tom Dempsey kicked the 63 yard field goal in 1970 and I've been a fan ever since. I remember watching the Saints-Bucs game in 1977. You all know the game. The Buccaneers first ever win as a franchise. I was 8 years old and I watched the whole thing alone in my parents bedroom. No one else in the house wanted to watch except me. I was heartbroken after that game and the Saints continued to break my heart hundreds of times over the last thirty years.

I was there when Bum Phillips decided to punt instead of letting Morten Andersen attempt a 48 yard field goal against the Rams. It was the last game of the season, win and your in. We lost. 1987 we finally had a winning season. We went 12-3 only to watch the 49er's go 13-2 and win the division. We then proceed to get stomped in the wild card game by and 8-7 Vikings team that everyone thought we would crush.

The playoff years of 1991 and 92. Probably our two best teams ever until this year. 1991 playoff game led the Eagles 20-7 in the second half and lost. 1992 playoff game led the Falcons 20-7 in the second half and lost.

I lived through miserable Ditka years and the Ricky Williams embarrassment.

The flicker of hope in Haslett's first season. Finally a playoff win after 33 seasons. Then right back to mediocrity.

All that is just the tip of the iceberg.

Every fall and winter I have lived and died with this team every week. Fan to a fault? Maybe. But, they are my team.

Coaches and players have come and gone but we (the fans) have been here the whole time.

All I can say to my friends who will be watching the game with me on Sunday is.......When we win, you will see a grown man cry.
Who Dat?!

1 Comments:

At January 21, 2007 9:52 AM, Blogger oyster said...

There's no shame in crying. Especially if they're tears of joy.

Go Saints!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home