23 May 2006

News From Tulane: And Then We'll Kill the Engineering Program

I am on the near-daily News From Tulane email list. Here's what I got from them yesterday:

As the 2006 Hurricane Season begins, nearly 50 national experts who make their living making life livable along the world's beautiful but volatile coasts will gather for the Tulane Engineering Forum, "Engineering in a Coastal Environment" June 2 from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the New Orleans Hilton.
And then they can kill the 110+ year old Tulane Engineering School. The stoning of the program will commence following the forum.

Seriously, this appears to be an excellent opportunity to stage a protest . . .

I was involved in a Tulane-related function over the past week. I personally have no affiliation with Tulane although I have several relatives which received, ironically, Engineering degrees from the university. I had a question to most Tulane-affiliated people I met: What is your opinion of Scott Cowen? Let's just say that every single response was not favorable for Mr. Cowen. My money is he's out of New Orleans to so-called greener pastures within two years . . . . moving on like his Kent State-bound buddy Lester Lefton--who I understand was the more influential one regarding the hit jobs of Tulane Engineering and Newcomb College.

TAGS: Katrina, New Orleans, NOLA, Election, Tulane, Scott Cowen

3 Comments:

At May 24, 2006 7:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello!

The Tulane Engineering students have been doing everything they can to stop Tulane from closing down the Engineering department. So far, their protests have rung on deaf ears.

You can find more information here:
http://www.savetulaneengineering.org/

-T

 
At September 24, 2006 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bad habits are hard to lose. I'd very much like to think Cowen's contract will not be renewed but a goos chunk of the board members are his appointments. Yeah I know technically he doesn't appoint board members but this board has been fully under the thumb of Cowen since he got here. I think they are afraid the big tub of lard will beat them up if they cross him.

 
At November 25, 2006 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My view from inside the institution is this--though I hate to see a number of departments cut (the school and two departments still exists, merged with the sciences) somebody had to lose. Unless a generous alum donates $300 million, the university has to cut alot of things. They made major cuts across the boards, and merged anything and everything to cut on administrative costs. I was on campus the week after, and the fact that Tulane is open and in reasonable shape is just shy of a miracle. I don't think anyone can expect everything to be like the good old days. Hopefully in ten years after Tulane has paid off its bills, the alumni can be more demanding. If you don't like what Cowen has done, take a close look at Loyola, or UNO. Things could be MUCH worse.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home