28 July 2006

Mid City Rock N Bowl: What Does the Future Hold?

On my daily drive-by through Mid City from our temporary home in Belle Chasse to check on the hacks rebuilding my house, I couldn't help but notice this sign. I didn't see it there yesterday morning or around lunch time, so I can only assume this went up some time yesterday after 1pm.

I don't know the details of this property, but I do know that
Rock n' Bowl does not own their building - they are renters. This place is obviously a hot piece of Real Estate, as the sign says : Offers due by: August 31, 2006.


Question #1:
What does this mean for Rock n' Bowl, is their space part of what is for sale? Can anyone confirm this?

Question #2:
How can Mid City assure that whatever happens to this corner, that Rock n' Bowl is somehow preserved, included, or at least given dibs on keeping their lease?

Question#3:
Has anyone talked to the owner? I know now at least someone that will at least try to this weekend. I can't wait to hear what he has to say.

John is a great guy. He took it upon himself to clean the parking lot, get the electricty back on, and get the place ready when the current landlord/other tenants hadn't even gutted the stores downstairs. This didn't stop Rock n' Bowl from opening, even with the foul smell of rotting food in the former Union Supermarket, upstairs was rockin with some allstars that first weeknight they opened in November.

Someone print out some 'SAVE ROCK n' BOWL' bumper stickers pronto.

I hope this is a false alarm...




TAGS: Katrina, New Orleans, NOLA, Mid City, Carrollton Avenue, Tulane Avenue, Mid City Rock N Bowl

7 Comments:

At July 28, 2006 11:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

John might be a great guy in your book, but from what I've heard, he's difficult tenant. Quite frankly, I'm amazed he hasn't been evicted yet.

Since he is such a great guy, perhaps John can buy it and maintain/redevelop the property.

I miis the pay stalls in the bathrooms(a dime to have a seat) that were so popular in the 70's.

 
At July 28, 2006 3:00 PM, Anonymous ashley said...

A1: Yes, their facility is up for sale, as is the whole block.
A2: I called rock&bowl, and they have an "iron clad lease".
A3: I'm thinking that somebody would be a fool to boot rock & bowl. Of course, there used to be a nice baseball stadium on the other end of that corner, too, and they got rid of that.

And finally, yeah, John should probably at least try to buy the place, but I think Ye Olde College Inn extended his credit to the hilt.

 
At July 28, 2006 3:22 PM, Blogger Seymour D. Fair said...

That property has mixed-use development (condo upper floors, commercial lower floor(s)) written all over it. Imagine that sort of development where RNB is preserved within the new design. Its doable--unless Walgreen's is involved. Just requires some creativity.

 
At July 28, 2006 7:08 PM, Anonymous ashley said...

Seymour, I'll buy a condo upstairs from R&B. I'll rent it out during jazzfest for $2k a day.

Imagine that...turning it mixed use, but keeping it R&B funky!

 
At July 31, 2006 11:22 AM, Blogger jeffrey said...

Remember when living above a bowling alley was a bad thing?

 
At August 01, 2006 2:53 AM, Anonymous Robyn said...

As for anonymous,look at the condition and upkeep of the center since the storm and what John had to go through to re-open and decide if the landlord or the tenant is the problem.If you remember,before the storm his landlord wanted 50% of the Lindsay Lohan movie fee for shooting at RocknBowl.When John wouldn't agree,the landlord refused to extend his lease downstairs at any price.Fortunately for John, 7 feet of water showed up 3 months later.I hope he ends up making the deal,meanwhile,lets get those bumper stickers rolling.

 
At August 04, 2006 6:20 PM, Blogger Tim said...

"Difficult tentant"??? Oh PLEASE! What a moronic thing to say. Everyone knows that except for Rock'n'Bowl that site would be vacant, or a fast-food chain restaurant. Look at the other three corners and see for yourself.

I love Rock'n'Bowl, and John Blancher is one of those unsung heroes of our city. He honors New Orleans in every way, and he does it just as a simple businessman. A week ago I saw he had a slint on his finger because his hand got caught in the pin machine while he was clearing a jam. I told him, Hey, you're the damn owner, what are you doing clearing jams in the alley for? But I knew the answer. When you own your own business, you do it all.

See you at Rock'n'Bowl!

Peace,

Tim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home